Traci ( @thestackspod) created a new challenge in order to bring in different books to our feeds. One of my favorite things about #bookstagram is discovering new books and being exposed to new authors, genres, publishers, etc. So here is my #diversiFIVEbooks - 5 books in 5 categories that you don't often see on bookstagram.
1) A book that you loved before you joined Instagram: JULIET, NAKED by Nick Hornby. I love, love Nick Hornby. His books always make me laugh and they make my heart feel big and warm. I also love all the cultural references in his books. Juliet Naked is probably my favorite. His "Stuff I've Been Reading" column in @believermag is gold. Your TBR list will never be the same. .
2) A book by an author from a different ethnicity than you: WARRIORS DON'T CRY by Melba Patillo Beals. Beals was one of the Little Rock Nine. Her memoir chronicles her life before and during the segregation of Central High School. I first read it in the 7th grade and it has never left my mind. .
3) A book you're excited to read by or about people of color: WILD SWANS by Jung Chang. Technically I've read this before, but I remember nothing about it. It's like a blank in my mind. But I've heard really good things and it's been on my TBR for forever. .
4) A book you love that you rarely see on #bookstagram: THE ART OF FIELDING by Chad Harbach. This is one of those books that I love so much I have a hard time talking about it...It's great storytelling. It's warm, and down-to-earth, and full of heart. (And no, it's not just about baseball! It's about LOVE.) .
5) A book in a genre you don't normally read that you ended up loving: THE COMPLETE PERSEPOLIS by Marjane Satrapi. This memoir about growing up in Tehran during the Islamic Revolution blew me away. I was hesitant about graphic novels / comics, but this was my gateway book and I haven't looked back. .
Have you read any of these books? I'd love to see everyone's #diversiFIVEbooks stack, so if you're reading this, consider yourself tagged!
PicSheet is a tool made for providing some features for Instagram contents. This product uses the Instagram API but is not endorsed or certified by Instagram. All Instagram™ logos and trademarks displayed on this application are property of Instagram.